Sunday, November 22, 2009

Zucchini Fritters

I have started and deleted five different introductions to this post. I just can't really seem to get words flowin' this morning. I guess all I would really like to say is that even though I just ate these for dinner last night, I wish I had all the ingredients in my kitchen so I could make some up for dinner again tonight! Or even lunch. I modified this recipe from one that I found in How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.

I started out with five zucchini and trimmed the ends and then grated them on a box grater. Then put them all into a strainer and sprinkled a big pinch of salt over the top and let it sit for about an hour.



















After the hour, rinse the zucchini and put it in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze all of the water out. I even got Cody to help me with this part.



















Then I put the zucchini in a large bowl and mixed egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, green onion and some parm cheese.

Fried them up in a little oil and BLAM-O!!



















Wonderful on a plate. We put our fritters on top of brown rice and topped them with fresh tomatoes, basil and horseradish.

Zucchini Fritters
Modified from Zucchini Fritters recipe by Mark Bittman







5 zucchini grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2-3 cloves of garlic
2-3 green onion chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper


Grate zucchini and put in a strainer. Sprinkle with a large pinch of salt and let sit for an hour with a towel under the strainer. After that hour rinse zucchini and then put zucchini into a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out all of the liquid.

Put squeezed zucchini into a bowl and throw in all other ingredients.

Liberally coat the bottom of a skillet with oil and keep it at about med-high heat. I used a cookie scoop to make sure each fritter was about the same size and before I put them in the oil I flattened each one. The browner they get the easier they are to flip so I let them brown up quiet a bit, about 2 minutes on each side.

**A note about the parmesan cheese-The first time I made this I used shredded parm in the little tub, and this last time I used the Kraft parm cheese with the green top (just because I forgot to buy the other at the store) and both times it turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment