Monday, November 16, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

The most anticipated seasonal craft beer is finally here! THE ABYSS!!

I picked a couple of bombers from By the Bottle, one for drinking, and of course, one for aging. This is the Imperial Stout brewed by Deschutes Brewing Co. This beer is battling it out with Pliny The Elder for the designation as my favorite beer! The Abyss, 11% abv, is brewed with licorice and molasses, with 33% aged in oak bourbon barrels. According to the bottle, "It's dark. It's deep. It's mysterious. This imperial stout has immeasurable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich complex profile. The flavor of this special brew draws you in further and further with each sip. The Abyss beckons. Enjoy the journey."

My collection now includes the Abyss from 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009!

I won't open this beer until later this week, so look for a post including tasting notes and pictures of the brew exposed and awaiting consumption.











Now, these aren't the only beers I picked up from By The Bottle. I also picked up the inaugural (in bottles) batch of Sleigh'r from Ninkasi Brewing Co.

According to the bottle, "A delicious northwest seasonal brewed with winter in mind. A dark double alt, malty, and delicious, it's sure to keep the winter at bay, and yes, Sleigh'r does rock!" I first had this beer last year at the Portland Holiday Ale Festival and loved it. I am so stoked that they bottled it this year. A great winter beer, and at 7.2% abv it is substantial, yet very drinkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment