Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2009 Abyss Hour Long Tasting-In Real Time

7:56 p.m.-Shay demonstrates the magnitude of the moment by wearing white gloves while displaying The Abyss.














8:00 p.m.-I finally open the beer, after spending 5 minutes on the demolition of the wax covering.

8:02 p.m.-Finally I take a sip, after spending a couple of minutes admiring the absence of color in this absolutely gorgeous beer. This just might be the finest brew ever crafted (excuse the hyperbole, but this beer deserves it).

8:21 p.m.- This beer is dangerously delicious. Even though this is one of my favorite beers of all time, I'm always taken aback at how good it is when I drink it. Though this beer is incredibly heavy it still presents a strong hop character.

8:28 p.m.-This is the fourth version of The Abyss in my collection. The question is...when do I drink them? I think I will collect the first 10 editions of this beer and then hold a vertical tasting with a group of my closest friends. Probably during the holidays. So you have that to look forward to. If that is what I indeed decide to do, it will take place in 2016 and I will be 32 years old. That is crazy to me.


8:36 p.m.-Working my way through this 22 oz bottle like a champ. Shay has enjoyed the several sips she has hawked from me. Ahh, this beer is delicious.

8:38 p.m.-I am kind of kicking myself for not going to the Abyss launch party at the Portland pub. But to be honest, I forgot about it. I guess they had 2007, 2008, and 2009 all on tap at the same time. That would have been fun to sample.

8:43 p.m.-I may or may not be listening to xmas songs. Okay, I am. I can't help myself. But I must say the best xmas album of all time just might be A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi. Aaron Kayser, I am giving you credit for legitimately introducing me to this album.


8:45 p.m.-Damn, keeping this going for an entire hour is getting difficult.

8:48 p.m.-A cool pic of the Deschutes Portland pub. Just thought I would throw that it in. I once compared the atmosphere of the new pub to that of a Red Robin. This may have been an overreaction (damn, this Trans-Siberian Orchestra song I'm listening to sucks!). It is really cool inside. I guess it just doesn't feel as authentic as the public house in Bend.

8:52 p.m.-One more sip in the glass. Ahh, all gone. Ooh, I could really feel the alcohol burn in my nose on that last drink. Even though IPA's are my favorite beers to drink, I think this beer still remains at the top of my favorite beers list. But ask me again this spring when I am drinking a fresh Pliny the Elder and my answer might be different.

8:56 p.m.-Well it's been an hour. The Abyss has been consumed. I am listening to another crazy Trans-Siberian Orchestra song (you know, the majority of their songs aren't very good). Ahh, that's better. Harry Connick Jr. can sing christmas songs all day. Aight, good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment